Monday, January 25, 2010

His promises.


My church had a 21 day corporate fast that just ended Saturday.
I usually go into a fast with something on my mind...
not an aimless pursuit, but something I desire.
Usually it's to become more intimately acquainted with Jesus,
sometimes it's because I am interceding for a justice issue (or any issue), other times, I want God to really come and uproot some things.
I believe every time you fast God uproots things, but my whole purpose I laid before Jesus for the fast was not just to become more intimate with His heart, but I asked Him to come and deal with things in my heart.
I wrote down specific things I wanted Him to come and bring freedom to in my life.
Things that had built up due to past unforgiveness and bitterness.
Things I needed uprooted.
Essentially, I wanted to come out FREE.

I am going to be honest with you..
yes, I went into this fast believing with everything inside of me that I was going to come out a new person.
And yes, Friday, the day before the 21 days were up, I was sitting in my car at a park, weeping.
I said a lot of things to Jesus. Mainly, that I loved Him. That I was broken. That I needed His healing touch.
As I was journaling all on my mind. I looked up from my paper, and this came out of my mouth, "Jesus, I am going to be honest. I feel like you heal everyone around me, but when it comes to me it's just not happening. And, I hate that I feel that way. Because, I know I am wrong. I know that you love me. I know that you want to see me whole." And, that was that. Moments later I wiped my tears away & drove off to my next destination.

Saturday came. Midnight came.Sunday came. The fast ended.
And, I laid my head on the pillow wondering, did it really do anything? All the same knowing in the back of my mind He is true to His word. He never failed me before.

I woke up Sunday. Busily getting ready for Church, not paying much attention.
In the middle of worship, I realized it was different, something was different.
I felt lighter. More full of joy (something I had cried out for). Like the heaviness had lifted. Throughout the day I walked in a freedom I haven't known for quite some time.. a year or more...at least.

That night, something happened. There was a moment in time I had with Jesus. When I was crying out for someone else, someone extremely broken. As I began praying for this person, the very things I was speaking over their life my soul needed to hear. I knew these things, but when I wasn't the focus, when it became someone else. Someone broken. Someone with a story. My prayer over their life, over their story brought the very seal of healing over my life and my story that I had been crying out for.

All of that to say...
He keeps His promises.
There were days leading up to the ending of that fast where I wanted to quit.
Why? Because, I felt the soul purpose of why I was doing it wasn't even being dealt with. I didn't quit though. I think, because I knew in the very depths of my heart He wouldn't let me down. And, he didn't. He waited for the very last minute, but He brought the freedom I was crying out for.

Guys, He will always keep His promises towards you.
Even when the world screams it's a lost cause...
He comes, like a superhero in the night, and brings that rescue we've waited for.
His promises.. are just that, promises.
Never doubt it.
He loves you outrageously.
He will never let you down.
EVER.

This little simple promise He fulfilled for me, it brought something so much larger to my attention. If He is able to come and deal with the little things that I keep myself locked in. Then how much more is He willing to fulfill the many promises of dreams He has places in my heart.
After all, my dreams aren't really mine...
their His.
Of course, He is going to make them happen.
He wants them to be fulfilled more than I even do.

I'll leave you with this verse that has really been speaking to me,
Isaiah 45:2-3:
"I will go before you and will level the mountains. I will break down gates of bronze, and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places. So that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name."


Live life alive.
Be full of joy.
Dream.
and Dream some more.
& remember, He will
AlWAYS
fulfill the promise He gave you.
Most of all y'all..
be FREE!
Peace. Love. Joy.

2 comments:

Daniela said...

Wow, I was doing the fasting too and I felt that I was being skipped. I was feeling that I trusted God in certain things but not in everything and one of my problems was doubt. I had to believe in God for many things.

My family has gone thru so much but sometimes, I feel that I doubt some of God's promises in my life. And your words have given me the answer, like you, I thought I was going to be completely different after the fast but the change is the way I feel :). And I feel great, I'm not worried about anything, I feel free to live. When before I just worried about everything. But now I know that God never fails. :D

Brianna Shea said...

That is so good Daniela! :-) I am right there with ya.. He never, ever fails!!